1/18/17

27 Weeks: Baby Registry


So I've been writing a baby registry post since, like, November, but now that my baby shower is just a few weeks away (Feb. 4!), I thought it was finally relevant.

Now that I've been to a few baby showers, I realize people sometimes buy stuff off your registry, but mostly they like to give you whatever looks cute or was useful to them. Still, registries give you an idea of the couple's style and even some of their parenting approaches. There are two main things I focused on for our registry:

1) No clothes, toys, blankets, etc. I know people will already want to give us these, so I didn't bother registering for them, even though they're so fun! People always say they have too many of these anyway.

2) Limited baby-holding devices. I've really bought into this blogger/pediatric occupational therapist's philosophy that "baby buckets" contribute to flat-head syndrome and torticullis (neck tightness). I don't know how long I'll hold onto this opinion (maybe our baby will only like sleeping in a Rock 'n Play, who knows), but since we don't have much space and I'll be at home all day with the baby anyway, these seemed like good things to leave off unless/until we definitely need them.

It will be interesting to see how my thoughts change after I actually have a baby, but here's what I've registered for at Target and Amazon:

Gear

  • Car seat - picked the "Best Value" winner from BabyGearLab's extensive review
  • Stroller
  • Car window shades
  • Car baby mirror
  • Activity gym
  • Pack 'n Play + sheets
  • Rocker napper - one that can recline to a flat surface like this one
  • Diaper bag w/ changing pad
  • Baby carrier/wrap - It's impossible to know what carrier you'll like without trying it with your baby, but I like the Baby K'tan's price and ease-of-use
  • Baby monitor - I love the idea that the Owlet monitor is the only one that would actually alert you if your baby is dying, but it is expensive so idk
Sleep
  • Waterproof mattress pad - We already have a crib, mattress, and one mattress pad, and rocking chair
  • Crib sheets
  • Sleep sacks - I registered for a couple kinds so we can see what baby likes
Bath
  • Bathtub & sponge - This tub collapses, saving a lot of storage space! But reviews say it's slippery, hence the sponge for baby to lay on. I should probably register for some soap too but I feel like people might already get that stuff? I don't have any preferences, anyway.
Care & First Aid
  • Grooming & first aid kit
  • Digital forehead thermometer
  • Nasal aspirator - I've heard great things about the NoseFrida
  • Infant Tylenol, saline spray, soothing chest rub
  • Baby sunscreen
  • Plug protectors - In theory, if we put them in now, the baby won't want to pull them out once he/she is mobile, as opposed to if they suddenly show up when crawling starts
Diapering
  • Disposable diapers & wipes
  • Changing pad, covers, and waterproof liners - To put on the changing table...once we get one
  • Diaper cream
  • Diaper pail - I don't want a Diaper Genie because you have to buy special bags for them
  • Wet bag - To hold soiled diapers/items when away from home
Feeding
  • Storage bottles/bags - The ones that match the breast pump covered by our insurance
  • Nursing pillow
  • Bottles - A variety of small ones so we can see what our baby likes before getting a bunch
  • Pacifiers - Again, a variety, so we can see what baby likes before stocking up
  • Nursing pads and gel pads
  • Nipple cream
  • Bottle brushes
  • Teethers
  • Bibs
  • Spoons, snack cups, plates
  • Sippee cups - The Miracle 360 cup  helps avoid oral development issues
Books
  • BabyLit board books
  • A sleep book - I'm open to recommendations!
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block - So many people recommend this
  • The Birth Partner - Again, comes highly recommended
I'm also going to need some more things for nursing and postpartum care, but I wasn't sure if those things are usually put on registries.

It will be interesting to see if people try the gender-neutral clothes route, or if I get more generic baby stuff like diapers. I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment