3/21/18

Twelve Months in the Life of Levi


Levi seems both so big and so little; his first year seems to have gone by both so slowly and so quickly. It appears his new main goal in life is to get in trouble, or to be held by his parents. He is very sweet and likes to play and cuddle with his parents. He isn't a super social or vocal kid, but he enjoys observing, exploring, and trying new things.

Growth & Development
  • 17 lbs. 10 oz. (5th %ile), 29.3 inches (28th %ile) (tall and skinny!)
  • Clothing size: somewhere between 9 mo. and 12 mo.
  • Diaper size: 3
  • Army crawling. Kind of more like a caterpillar actually.
  • Has 2 new top teeth for a total of 6 teeth
  • Learning to point
  • Says "buh" a lot, which makes it sound like he can sort of say "bubble" and "buh-bye"; imitates our sounds more and more
  • Drinks from a straw cup
  • Eyes still blue, not likely they'll change at this point! 


Likes
  • Books!
  • Biting :( we're working on it
  • Throwing things, especially food (also working on that)
  • Bubbles
  • Watching videos on mommy's phone
  • Finding things on the floor to ingest (mommy does not like this)

Dislikes
  • Bathtime. Suddenly, and with a fiery burning passion, he HATES baths.
  • Loud parties
  • Other people holding him when he's not really used to them or in a super happy mood
  • Mommy taking dangerous things out of his mouth

Fun Facts

  • Has tried all 8 major food allergens and had no problems (wheat, dairy, egg, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, fish, shellfish)
  • Is in the "stranger danger" phase; likes to keep Mommy or Daddy near. I have to remember to give him extra cuddles since I've been weaning him, and I also think he's been teething pretty aggressively. Poor kid.
  • Did pretty well during his first haircut! My friend cut his hair; we did short on the sides and back, and kept most of the length on top.

 < BEFORE & AFTER>

Eating
Levi loves food! He likes to finger-feed himself and has enjoyed everything we've given him except strawberries and sometimes scrambled eggs. He makes a really concerned face when we give him something really cold. His absolute favorites are banana, avocado, cheerios/cereal puffs, bread, and cheese. I've cut out another nursing session, so we're down to morning (breakfast) and night nursings. Otherwise, he gets solids lunch, snack, and dinner. He eats pretty much the same things we do, cut into pieces, except for hard things like raw fruits and veggies. Also he has eaten an inordinate amount of paper and who knows what else. :(



Sleeping
We're still on two naps, with wake times being roughly 2.5 hrs., 3.5 hrs, and 4 hrs. He usually sleeps form 8 p.m.-6:30 a.m. He likes to sleep on his side now, I think. He's still using his Zipadee Zip sleepsack, white noise, and very dark room; his sleeptime routine is nursing (if it's nighttime), diaper change in dim room, white noise on, sleepsack on, read a book (always Good Night Wisconsin), song (always "Abide With Me"), kisses, down in crib saying "I love you, good night," lights out + close door. He falls asleep on his own within 15 minutes with no crying. I've considered introducing a lovey as another independent sleep association (we do give him a stuffed giraffe to hold while we read the book to him), but I guess if he doesn't really need it then we don't have to. I'm trying to think of things that I can give him that will help him feel comfortable sleeping in unfamiliar places, like when we go on our cruise in June. On the other hand, if it ain't broke...


Life with a one-year-old is exhausting and exhilarating. I'm both nervous and excited for what the next year of parenting will bring ... I felt like I was ready when I made the decision to have a baby, but nobody asks you if you're ready before you have a toddler! I'm not looking forward to the destruction, tantrums, baby-proofing, and nap-dropping that will come our way, but it's SO fun to see him learning and figuring things out. I'm excited for when he'll be able to walk beside me at the zoo or point out little wonders he finds as we walk through our neighborhood. I've enjoyed seeing him play with his new toys and watching those little gears turn in his head when he's confronted with new challenges. Overall, it was a pretty good year, and the next one will be even better (especially with fewer doctor appointments and nighttime feedings!). We love our Levi!




No comments:

Post a Comment