7/4/18

Wedding and Honeymoon Advices

You guys. I started this post THREE YEARS AGO. And my sister is getting married in LESS THAN A WEEK. I guess it's too late for her, but maybe this will be helpful to someone out there. I'll probably come back and add more stuff later if I think of it.

Wedding

  • Choose ~3 things that are most important to you, and let go of the rest.
  • If you're overwhelmed picking registry items, look up recent engaged/married friends' registries and copy stuff from people who have good taste.
  • If there is someone who wants to be at the sealing, and you don't really want them there, but you don't want to offend anybody either, I would just let them come. I was way more focused on my fiance than anybody else in the room. But that's me.
  • Get the groom's ring earlier than the day before.
  • Don't worry—just enjoy it. And it's okay if, on the day of the wedding, you feel like you're not deeply appreciating every detail. Go with the flow, and the joy will come to you.
  • When you come out of the temple, look into each other's eyes for the photo.
  • Make a list of shots you want, and give it to the photographer beforehand.
  • Take a "Thank You" shot.
  • Get a sibling or cousin to bring you food while you stand in line at the reception.
  • Ask your friends bring your gifts home for you.

Honeymoon

  • Make sure your car doesn't have any problems before your wedding.
  • Tell everyone you're on your honeymoon! Casually mention it when you're making reservations, when you're chatting with other people at shops or wherever, and you might score some free stuff.
  • Make sure whatever you do is relaxing. Plan some activities in there so you don't get bored, but be ready to let most of them go if you're feeling lazy or want to be spontaneous and do something else.
  • Lingerie can be fun for both women and men.
  • On a similar note, our favorite book about sex that we read while we were engaged was And They Were Not Ashamed.
  • I didn't do this but heard it later and think it's great: bring the box of wedding cards with you so you can use the cash/gift cards during your honeymoon.
Newlywed Marriage

  • If you're frustrated at him, give him a kind act of service.
  • If you're frustrated at her, give her a kind act of service.
  • Don't freak out. If you two have survived so far, you'll probably survive another day.
Aw, this is giving me all the reminisce-feels. That period of engagement, honeymoon, new marriage is so special. In the end, most of the things that didn't go as I had planned ended up fading into the background in the years to come. Treat your beloved with sweetness and love, and that's what you'll remember from your special day.

Feel free to comment with any advice you'd like to dole out to unwitting lovebirds!

No comments:

Post a Comment