7/7/15

A very pretty cake stand

aWe ordered a lot of things from Amazon to use for our wedding. One of these things was a fancy cake stand; I wanted a classic, elegant theme for my reception, and I knew that I was going to have a fairly small cake, so I opted for a fancier cake stand. I chose this this one because I liked how it looked almost like lace around the edges and the style looked antique and classic:

Source: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TKE0h9ISL._SX300_.jpg

When we received it in the mail, however, it was completely crooked and there was no way to fix it. I didn't feel like we had time to send it back and receive a new one, and I didn't really want to chance my luck with this brand again anyhow. I ordered a completely different one that I think worked even better, and got a refund on the crooked one.

Okay, so that's the back story. The funny part is that Amazon sent me an email, as it does for all the products I buy from there, asking for a review. Normally I ignore these, but I felt like I could take a minute to warn other people from doing the same thing I did. I wrote up a short review: "Arrived crooked. Couldn't use it for our cake. Couldn't bend it back. Sent it back and got a refund. Otherwise, it was a very pretty cake stand. Wish it would have worked for my wedding." Right as I was hitting the "send" button, I noticed I left the title of the review blank. I figured, oh well, it doesn't look like it's required, I guess my review will just have a blank title.

Boy was I wrong.

Later, I received another email notifying me that my review had been posted as the following (highlight added by me):

1.0 out of 5 stars it was a very pretty cake stand, June 16, 2015
By DianaVerified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Benzara Traditional Style Decorative Cake StandArrived crooked. Couldn't use it for our cake. Couldn't bend it back. Sent it back and got a refund. Otherwise, it was a very pretty cake stand. Wish it would have worked for my wedding.

As best as I can figure, they decided to use a phrase from my review to create the title, and of all the phrases they chose to represent the main idea of my review ... they chose the one positive one out of the sea of negatives! They used "it was a very pretty cake stand" as the gist of my review that was about how the stand was crooked and we had to send it back! I don't know, I just thought it was hilarious and started cracking up, and I showed it to Tygan and he started laughing too. Ah, Amazon, how hopeful you are. Thanks for brightening our day. Good luck with your very pretty cake stand.

P.S. The sad thing is, I looked at the other reviews and they share similar sentiments. Usually I'm pretty good at researching online purchases, but I guess I missed it on this one. Word to the wise: reviews actually help!

No comments:

Post a Comment