7/14/15

Symons Family Reunion 2015!

For the Fourth of July, my mom's side of the family had a huge family reunion! (Made huge by the simple fact that my mom has 9 brothers and sisters.)

Here are some highlights:

The original house my great-great-grandparents lived in when they founded their farm in Pocatello in 1888.

Their farm now resides on Symons road (that's my mom's maiden name).

Me, Tygan, and two of my cousins tubing! Tygan's the one who's dead.

The outhouse on the farm is a two-seater. Go figure.

We went to a ziplining place that also took you up in a crane and had you jump off in a harness. I didn't do it, but my fearless husband did!

And this is me zipling! I'm grabbing my ankles from behind, what they call the "crab" position. I also went upside down, but I don't have a picture of that. :(

Tygan at the chicken coop. I think he's pretending to be an evil chicken. ("Evil chickens lay deviled eggs," or so said a nearby sign.)

That ziplining place had a ninja obstacle course as well! Tygan is one of those tiny figures 30 feet up!

Look at the little monkey!

He was so impressive! Even I was too scared, and I usually love climbing things. You can't really tell from this picture how high it feels.

Also there was  "human-powered" ferris wheel! A couple guys started turning it, then we positioned people so that our body weights helped to keep it going.


And here's Tygan's summation:

The fourth of July was heaps of fun. On Thursday night we drove up to a hotel in Pocatello, where all of Diana's family were staying. From then until Sunday night, we enjoyed lots of games, the less-hot springs in Lava Hot Springs (it was hot enough already), tubed the river twice (it's a 10 minute ride) through the town, watched fireworks, and ziplined. Ziplining was different than I expected, but still fun. I was anticipating several long zip-lines through the mountains, but there were two 30-second lines we went down twice each. Diana and I both did a good job going upside-down, with pencil legs. Then there was an obstacle course where we did different things, all rather high off the ground. Diana did some balance steps very quickly. I tried everything I could, including a free-fall before a rope slowed me down. One of the funnest parts was the host, a very funny man with an Eastern European accent. It took half the day, though. We also spent some time at the ancestral Symons home near Lava--a farm on Symons rode where the first cabin of Diana's great great grandpa is still standing. I think her great uncle or cousins one removed own it, and they showed the goats, sheep, chickens, and chicks. At one point I had all of her family memorized. Don't know if I could remember them all now, though. There's a good number of older cousins that are about our age that we had fun hanging out with. The rest are little and usually very sweet and fun to play with.

No comments:

Post a Comment