12/22/17

Christmas is Coming

IT'S. ALMOST. CHRISTMAS!

In October it felt like Christmas was forever away. But when Tygan reminded me last week that there was only one week until Christmas it felt like it was coming too fast! We didn't quite do all of the things I wrote on my list of Christmas-things-to-do, but we did a lot!

Putting Up the Christmas Tree & Decorations

+ taking a bazillion pictures of the baby in front of the tree






Tygan's mom made me a stocking to match their family's stockings when Tygan and I got married, and this year she made one for Levi too!

Family Service Project/Monetary Donation

This year Tygan found a "Sharing Christmas" program with Middleton Outreach Ministry. It's like the "giving tree"-type of gift donation. We had fun picking out presents and delivering them to our assigned family, who actually only spoke Spanish so we got to practice our language skills too!

Taking a Nice Family Picture/Sending Christmas Cards

We don't usually do this, but I got this adorable formal Christmas outfit for Levi at the local baby consignment store and couldn't resist! Our friend took the pictures near our home and I edited them.


In the past we've sent out an email with our picture and family updates, but this year Levi did some nice red-and-green fingerpaintings and one thing led to another and now we're sending out some physical cards this year too :)

Driving Around Looking at Christmas Lights

 There's a park downtown that sets up holiday light displays that you can drive through. This was our first time going and honestly, I thought it was a little underwhelming. We liked the football-themed ones though. (There was also one depicting a giant tooth brushing ... himself? His own teeth? No picture because we were too busy going "What the what?")

Making Treats!

This year's lineup: sugar cookies, gingerbread cookies, peanut brittle, fudge w/ walnuts, chocolate-covered pretzels, and peppermint no-bake cookies. I had a lot of fun decorating the cookies; maybe next year I'll try the flooding method.



~~~~~

We also listened to a lot of Christmas music, watched some Christmas movies, wrapped Christmas presents, and even staged a "baby nativity" at a playdate with some of Levi's friends. We didn't end up doing an advent calendar, putting up Christmas lights, "Light the World," or caroling, but maybe next year. Sadly, we also didn't get a first-meeting-with-Santa picture with Levi because there wasn't a Santa at the church Christmas party and they're $25(!!!) at the mall. :(

Some things I'd still like to do this Christmas/winter season:
  • Family puzzle
  • Finish crocheting my blanket
  • Light more candles, play more music, and drink more hot chocolate
  • Go to the movies (Star Wars!)
  • Read A Christmas Carol
  • Build a snowman (we haven't had any snow that has stuck, yet)
  • Go ice skating
  • Go sledding?
It's easy for the holidays to get too busy, but I like having these activities to look forward to and structure some time together as a family (and distract from the falling temperatures!). At first I was sad to be missing the festivities with our families out west, but it's really nice not to have to plan travel logistics and to only have three people to coordinate. We're looking forward to Christmas! Only three more days!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment