9/20/15

The BYU Blanket, Part I

Ever since my early days at BYU, I've plannned on making a BYU t-shirt quilt. I loved to volunteer at different events and things, and almost every time it would result in a new free t-shirt! I feel like compiling them will be a fun way to catalog these memories and have something to show and tell stories about. 

I counted about 45 shirts I've collected during my four years at the Y:

They look smaller in this picture.

I originally planned to have them just arranged randomly, but I kind of liked grouping them in diagonals by color, so here's the rough draft:

I'm not sure what I'm going to use for the back of the quilt.

I have zip amount of quilting experience, but luckily my mother-in-law knows more about it and actually let me use some of her quilting equipment. So I used her rotary cutter to make 12" squares out of the shirts.

The pile of quilting squares neatly stacked, with the pile of t-shirt carcasses in the background less neatly stacked.

It was difficult to cut up some of the shirts because I do enjoy wearing them, showing my BYU pride, and wearing something that connects me to a sub-community of the BYU universe (like my Women in Engineering shirt or my ASL Club shirt). In the end, though, I sacrificed them all to the quilt except for my BYU Alumni shirt, which I'm wearing as I type this!

((Actually, I still couldn't bring myself to cut up my Women in Engineering or ASL Club shirts. Luckily, I had gotten extras for Katelyn and Tygan, respectively, so I cut up theirs instead. :D ))

My mom has the quilt squares now and will sew them together, or I'll do it over Thanksgiving. Stay tuned to see how it turns out! I sure hope it's worth all that carnage.

No comments:

Post a Comment