11/14/15

FHE: Gratitude

The topic: Gratitude, because NOVEMBER!

Resources: I pulled a blank for this lesson, so I actually just did the Gratitude Lesson 1 from the Family Home Evening Resource Book.

We especially liked discussing the story of the ten lepers found in Luke 17:11-18. I realized that, if you had asked the nine lepers that did not thank Christ, they probably would have said they were grateful; it was just that the one leper actually translated that feeling into action. He was the one to actually think of the source of their blessing. Often, I think "I'm so grateful for _______ " but neglect to consider "I'm so grateful to ______." I think that would really help me acknowledge the relationships we all rely on.

What we learned: One of Tygan's comments taught me that what we care for, what we take care of, is what we're thankful for (for example, you show gratitude for a new toy when you take care not to break it and when you use it and enjoy it). That made me think about what I spend my time on; how do the things that I engage myself in each day, the things that I care about and put effort into, represent what I am most grateful for? Tygan said also that he felt the one leper who recognized Christ as the source of his healing would also be more likely to turn to Christ as the source for future healing—the understanding of which is an even greater blessing than the physical miracle performed.

Challenge: Our goal is to turn our gratitude into sincere thanks, compliments, and service to others. And our thankful tree helps us recognize the things others do for us:

Nine sheets of paper, crayons, and sticky notes create a masterpiece on our living room wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment