10/16/16

13 Weeks: So Done with First Trimester


The secret's officially out! I'll be posting my weekly pregnancy updates from the past two months in one big chunk (or a few), but here's the short version for those less interested in the details. (This has fortunately been a very healthy, and very boring, pregnancy so far, so I don't blame you.)

October 11, 2016

How far along: 13 weeks, 3 days (33.4%!)

Total weight gain: 2 lbs.

Symptoms: Nausea kicked in around 7 weeks, a whole host of other digestive issues a little after that, it all peaked around 10-11 weeks and is slowly resolving. Fatigue has been the most prominent symptom, and I've started to get a lot of headaches too. I'm lucky to have mostly avoided actual vomit.

Food cravings/aversions: Well, I always really want junk food, but I think that's just because it's fast, easy, and comforting. My only consistent aversion was chicken.

Weird pregnancy moments: I'm slightly more emotional for daddy/daughter stuff and romantic stuff. Tygan has been amazing so it's been really special for me to think of him more with this pregnancy and how he always steps up to new roles in his life.
On the other side of weird, I have had some disturbing dreams incorporating violent or threatening elements from books, movies, or the news. So that's fun.

Medical: We chose to use an OB team at our usual family practice, and I like my doctors a lot! Baby Trouble had a great ultrasound, heartbeat is perfect, and we have no high-risk factors/complications. We declined genetic testing for now and are still deciding whether to find out the baby's sex.

Most concerned about: Postpartum. It sounds like weeks of pain, sleep deprivation, and possible depression. Plus, newborns are all wrinkly and don't smile.

Most excited about: Imagining having a kid that's 6+ months makes it seem worth it, having a more active and expressive little person around. I can picture Tygan and me laughing, shaking our heads and thinking, wow, this kid is crazy! It'll be great.

While first trimester was mostly managing symptoms, I'm looking forward to doing some more exciting stuff during second trimester. Thanks for all your support!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not going to lie and say postpartum is a piece of cake. But, I didn't have weeks of pain or depression after my babies. It is a challenging adjustment to a new way of life. But, it's amazing how having a new baby brings such a neat Spirit in your home. Each phase has it's pros and cons, even the newborn stage. For some people, it's their most favorite! Enjoy the moments snuggling, looking at those tiny fingers, and marveling at the fact that he or she is your child. I can't wait to see you guys and talk about babies. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! Thanks for your excitement, it's contagious! I'm glad that recovery was quick for you and I hope for the same. And I'm betting that the intoxicating new baby smell will help a lot :) Can't wait to see your family soon and talk all things baby!

      Delete