3/4/17

Weekly Date: Mardi Gras Dinner

Last week on Fat Tuesday, we went to our local New Orleans-styled restaurant for a three-course, Mardi Gras-themed dinner! It was a little pricey, but we've been wanting to go to one of their special Tuesday three-course meal nights for a while and this seemed the perfect opportunity!

First up: Madagascar prawns sautéed in butter, herbs and spices. I assumed prawns were just big shrimp, and they basically were, except...they still had their heads and legs and stuff. It looked really fancy, but I am no expert at de-shelling shrimp and had no idea what to do. Messy, but good. Would have preferred it without the legs.


Our main course was jambalaya—shrimp, tasso ham, andouille sausage, peppers,
and onions in a spicy tomato sauce over rice. We each got a huge bowl of this classic goodness. I ate way too much and still had to get some boxed up for later.


Finally, for dessert we had beignets, which are like square hole-less donuts dusted with powdered sugar.


There was also some live music and we got some beaded necklaces too. This was probably one of the fanciest dates we'll have for a while, and I'm glad we got to squeeze it in before Trouble comes!


1 comment: