3/8/20

A Month in the Life of Hazel


Hazel has been with us for one month! (Well, today it's been 5 weeks 2 days.) I feel soooo much better than I did a month ago, but I still hope to make a lot of progress in the next month before I'm expected to take care of both of these kids (so weird to say "kids" instead of "kid"!) on my own.

Growth & Development

  • Clothing size: NB or 0-3 month
  • Diaper size: 1
  • 7 lbs 9.6 oz, 21 inches (February 19th)(24th percentile for weight; 61st percentile for length!)
  • Good at focusing on and tracking faces with her eyes
  • Starting to hold head up during tummy time


Likes
  • Looking at lights/windows
  • Being swaddled, held, and bounced on the yoga ball...all the time
  • Taking a bottle (we started with Dr. Brown's bottles, she loves it!)
  • Being held and walked around
  • Starting to better tolerate baths!
  • Soothies pacifiers

Dislikes
  • Sudden noises (too bad her big brother is like...one big walking noise haha)
  • Having hiccups
  • Going outside
  • Eating between 4 and 7 p.m.? This is her witching hour and she often cries when I'm trying to feed her; it's very stressful
  • Nuk brand pacifiers

Fun Facts
  • She doesn't mind wearing bows but they don't stay on very well
  • Eyes still blue, hair still reddish brown and starting to rub away a little
  • Makes the funniest faces, especially when I wake her up. And she'll only stretch her arms over her head when I unswaddle both arms; when I get one arm free, she'll wait until the other one is free before raising her arms.
  • Nicknames include Witch Hazel, Hazy, Baby, Sweet Pea, Cutie Patootie...
 

Eating

Breastfeeding is technically going well, but that doesn't mean it's easy! She tends to pop on, pop off, probably because of my forceful letdown. And, as mentioned above, at certain times of day (or when she's overtired? We're still trying to figure out her pattern), she will just cry and cry and cry when I try to feed her. It makes me worry that she doesn't eat enough for that feeding; usually I can get her to eat a little bit, but I wish I knew what was causing her so much distress! Most of the time, she'll feed on only one side, for 10-15 minutes. One side for ten minutes doesn't seem like much, but we did a weight check at about 2 or 2.5 weeks of age, and she took in 2.67 ounces in just ten minutes, so that's perfect! It takes about 30 minutes for a full feeding though, since she pops on and off so much and then poops, etc.


Sleeping

We started with a flexible routine from pretty much the get-go, feeding her every 3 hours or less, keeping her awake for a tiny bit then down for sleep with swaddle + white noise. After her 2-week check-up her doctor said we could let her wake herself up at night to eat, so then she started doing a 4 hr stretch between feeding at night, and since about 4.5 weeks (I hesitate to put this in writing in case it jinxes us...) she'll go 5 or 5.5 hrs. So she'll usually eat every 2-3 hrs during the day, then after her feeding around 6/7 p.m., we'll wake her up to feed at 9/10 and put her right back to bed (no wake time) and she'll sleep til 2 or 3 in the morning. After that she'll wake up about three hours later and we try to stretch that with the pacifier so she gets up around 6:30/7, when Levi does.


Looking forward to...
  • Liking to be in the wrap carrier more (hopefully)
  • More sleep (always)
  • Getting out in public more so things feel more normal
  • Wearing pretty dresses and bows! I tried so hard not to get sucked into the "girls must be cutesy" rhetoric but I like frilly things, so as long as they don't seem to bother her, she gets to wear them until she's old enough to have a preference! We haven't been to church yet so I'm looking forward to breaking out the new clothes then (otherwise she just wears her big brother's old onesies).

No comments:

Post a Comment